Since I began serving as your Interim Executive Regional Minister in November of last year, I have travelled almost 30,000 miles by car and by air. Those journeys have taken me to the four corners of the Central Rocky Mountain Region: from Twin Falls, Idaho, to Farmington, New Mexico, and from Sheridan, Wyoming, to Kanab, Utah.
It has been exciting to see how 311,000 square miles of Disciples are sharing in ministry and making a difference in their communities. During my travel around the Region, I’ve had the privilege to:
- Visit and worship with 38 congregations of the Region, preaching in 24 of those;
- Visit with four other congregations outside of Sunday worship;
- Share with the youth of the Region at retreats and at camp;
- Work with the search committees in 10 congregations;
- Assist congregations during times of crisis and conflict; and
- Meet with 17 candidates for ministerial standing.
But the Central Rocky Mountain Region extends far beyond the regional office and my travels. We are all part of the Central Rocky Mountain Region in the ways we connect with one another. When you support the Christmas Offering for Disciples Mission Fund, you are directly supporting the ministry of churches and ministers across the Region. Because of your support:
- Congregations like Village Christian Church in Colorado Springs that, following the sudden and tragic death of their pastor, did not have to walk that journey alone;
- The sisters of Christ incarcerated at the women’s correctional facility of the Utah State Prison in Draper are able every week to share the word of God and the table of the Lord through a prison congregation, St. Francis of Assisi Christian Church;
- Heart of the Rockies Christian Church received counsel and partnership as they begin a project that will turn their church location into a community center for children and youth in Larimer County, Colorado;
- More than 200 children and youth discover faith and friendship through Disciples camps at LaForet in Colorado and Camp Kum Ba Yah in Idaho.
I am deeply thankful for the opportunity to serve with you in the Central Rocky Mountain Region, and I look forward to helping us make a difference in 2016! Please continue to support the ministry of all 311,000 square miles of Disciples through your gift to the Christmas Offering.