The Regional Board met on August 29, 2015 at the Holiday Inn DIA. Here is a summary of the actions taken and items discussed.
Minutes of 3/14/2015 Board Retreat were presented and accepted.
SKYhill, Heart of the Rockies
The Board received a presentation from Hugh Mahon and Melissa St. Clair from Heart of the Rockies Christian Church in Fort Collins, Colo., regarding the re-emergence of SKYhill, a partnership between the church and local children and youth service agencies in Larimer County. The partnership would allow these agencies to construct facilities on the 11-acre property where the church is located. Because the CRMR owns the land, the Board was asked to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding as a partner with SKYhill. The Board authorized the Regional Minister and Moderator to act on the Region’s behalf.
- The pilot of Mission First was presented. Mission First is designed to refocus the denomination on mission. The pilot period will consist of a series of mission gatherings to discern how God may be calling the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) to be in mission. The output of the mission gatherings may lead to a revision of the general ministry governance structure to one that clearly separates mission from governance.
- General Assembly Time and Place Report for 2019 was referred to Administrative Committee. This was done to create a space in which the purpose and format of General Assembly could be re-evaluated.
- The Regional Board received a “Thank You” from the youth of Granger Community Christian Church, West Valley City, Utah, for the Region’s support of their General Assembly attendance in Columbus.
ERM Search Committee
Vinnetta Golphin, chair of the ERM Search Committee, reported on the Committee’s work. The Committee is meeting monthly, and they are currently preparing to formulate the regional profile. This will involve conversations across the Region, and Spring Feast will be the last opportunity for input to the profile. They anticipate that the regional profile and position description will be ready in mid-2016.
Georgenne Tomlinson reported on behalf of the Spring Feast Planning Team. Spring Feast will be held at First Christian Church, Colorado Springs, Colo., May 13-14, 2016. The Team is meeting monthly and has a site visit planned for September 12. The theme for Spring Feast is On Earth as it is in Heaven, and we have secured Nadia Bolz-Weber to preach on Friday night and lead a workshop on Saturday.
Governance Review Next Steps
Dean Phelps presented a concept of how to translate the work of the Governance Review Task Force into some initial structural changes. The concept addresses concerns of continuity on the Board and suggests a commission structure that reflects the core ministries of the Region as outlined in the Future Story.
Campbell-Stone Memorial Residence
Steve Weidner, as President of the CRMR Foundation, reported on activity related to the Campbell-Stone Memorial Residence. Campbell-Stone is applying for HUD subsidies that have become available. This has the dual benefit of both providing market rents for affordable housing as income while at the same time decreasing rents for most if not all residents. Greater rent income will also increase the potential sale value of the property.
- Interim Executive Regional Minister’s Report
- Statement of Financial Position as of June 30, 2015
- Statement of Activities, January 1 – June 30, 2015
- Approved the appointment of Nestor Gomez-Morales to a 4 year term as the Region’s representative to the General Board.
- Approved the request from the Pacific Islander Fellowship (Disciples of Christ), a new Chuukese congregation, to be identified as a congregation in formation in the Central Rocky Mountain Region.
- Approved a request from Heritage Towers, an affordable senior housing ministry of First Christian Church in Sheridan, Wyo., to affiliate as a recognized ministry of the Central Rocky Mountain Region.
- Approved a modification to the Nominating Committee so that its membership aligns with the requirement that any congregation can only have one member on the Committee. By the Design, three members from First Christian Church, Colorado Springs, Colo., would be identified as Nominating Committee members: Diane Ashton, Moderator; Betsy Straka, Personnel Committee Chair; and Lenna Fajerman, Tres Valles District Representative. The board action substituted Tres Valles district President, Howard Grant, for their member-at-large and excused the Personnel Chair from the Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee as approved consists of:
- Diane Ashton, Moderator
- Georgenne Tomlinson, Vice Moderator
- George Dockery, Metro District
- Vinnetta Golphin-Wilkerson, Western District
- Howard Grant, Tres Valles District
- Tracy Morgan, Northern District
- Empowered the Regional Minister and Moderator to move forward with such actions as may be required to maintain the 2006 Covenant Agreement that the CRMR entered into with Aurora First Christian Church and the Christian Church Foundation.
Upcoming Board Dates
- 10/31/2015: Regional Board Training with Todd Adams, First Christian Church, Colorado Springs, Colo. (ALL Board members plan to attend)
- 11/21/2015: Executive Committee meeting for 2016 Budget review/recommend to the Board
- 12/5/2015: Board meeting to receive/approve 2016 Budget
- 5/13-14/2016: Spring Feast 2016, First Christian Church, Colorado Springs, Colo.